Keep Those Annual Permits Current

Keep Those Annual Permits Current

By Andrew Pisani

Happy New Year! Even though many of last year’s challenges remain, we are hopeful for a better and brighter 2021.

To set the foundation for future success, now is a great time for administrative housekeeping, which includes keeping permits and registrations up to date. Below is an annotated list of common permits that require annual renewal, as well as other compliance reminders.

Annual Permits

  • Ansul systems
  • Boilers, Elevators, and Escalators
  • Boilers, RPZ, Backflow Preventers. These permits are issued by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).
  • Bulk Fuel Storage. FDNY Bulk Fuel Storage permits apply to storage of 1,100 gallons or more of fuel. Permits for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) apply to above-ground tanks with capacity of 1,101 gallons or more and underground tanks that hold 111 gallons or more.
  • Business Sign & Billboard permits
  • Contractor insurance and safety registration
  • Canopy permits. Contact the Department of Transportation (DOT) for renewals.
  • Compressor/HVAC permits
  • Department of Health permits. These permits include Food Handler permits for restaurants.
  • DEP permits. Also known as the “Right To Know Annual Inventory Report” for all hazardous material stored on premises, including, but not limited to, paint/lacquer, paint thinners and turpentine, ammonium-based products, benzene, compressed gas, motor oil, gasoline, etc. This requirement applies both to large office buildings with maintenance departments and to small businesses, including dry cleaners and funeral homes. If hazardous materials are stored on site, they need to be reported.
  • Façade reports. For buildings in block numbers ending in 0, 7, or 8, the filing period begins on February 21, 2021. Those buildings in block numbers ending in 4, 5, 6, or 9 have until February 21, 2022, to file their façade safety reports. (Because unsafe façades jeopardize public safety, their repair is considered essential construction and may proceed despite the ongoing pandemic.)
  • FDNY Certificates of Fitness (COFs). Building managers need to confirm current licensing of all staff members required to hold a COF. These certificates are issued by the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and typically good for three years. FDNY requires individuals in dangerous occupations to obtain COFs as confirmation that they know how to use, store, and handle dangerous materials safely.
  • FDNY permits. These include sprinklers and standpipes, fuel storage, and emergency generators. Don’t forget to keep that monthly inspection log in case of a surprise FDNY inspection.
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Gas piping inspections. Per Local Law 152 of 2016, all buildings in community districts 2, 5, 7, 13, and 18 must have their gas piping systems inspected by a Licensed Master Plumber (LMP) or a qualified individual working under supervision of an LMP. Inspections must be completed by December 31, 2021. (Gas piping inspections for buildings in community districts 1, 3, and 10 were due on December 31, 2020.) Buildings without gas piping systems must still submit a certification form, signed and sealed by a registered design professional, attesting to this fact. One- and two-family homes, and others in the R-3 occupancy, are exempt.
  • Liquor licenses
  • Marquee permits
  • Public Assembly (PA) permits. These include Flame Spread Affidavits for all fabric within the PA space. Remember, FDNY will not always come out and inspect the premises automatically. The PA manager or owner should call the FDNY 30 days prior to permit expiration and schedule re-inspection. Call the FDNY PA Division at 718-999-2436 to set up a re-inspection appointment.
  • Sidewalk cafés
  • Site Safety Training (Local Law 196/17). All jobs that require a Construction Superintendent, Site Safety Coordinator, Site Safety Manager, Concrete Safety Manager, or Competent Person must comply with Local Law 196 of 2017. Supervisors must have a 62-hour OSHA card, and all other workers on such sites must have a 40-hour OSHA card.
  • Sprinklers (Local Law 26/04). Full-building sprinkler systems are mandatory for all office buildings 100 feet or more in height. No waivers or extensions are granted. If you are not fully sprinklered and have not filed the final report, you have the Local Law 26/04 violation on your property. The violation will be resolved once the building is fully sprinklered. The DOB has not yet assessed a fine yet, which may be assessed monthly or yearly, but they may in the near future.

We hope this list comes in handy as you stay on top of your permit portfolio, but it’s not comprehensive. If you need any assistance with the renewal process, please contact Metropolis Group at 212.233.6344.