By Penny Laughlin
In August 2019, the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) released a new PW1 Form. The revised form, which becomes mandatory on September 12, 2019, includes additional statements in section 9, supporting Local Law 97 of 2017.
LL 97 of 2017, which went into effect on June 1, 2019, requires a Stormwater Construction Permit from the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) for projects that are expected to disturb one or more acres of soil and meet either of the following conditions:
- Located in a municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) on DEP’s Interactive MS4 Map OR
- Require a DEP connection for a separate storm sewer
PW1 Changes (Rev. 8/19)
Applicants for New Building, Full Demolition, and Alteration Types 1, 2 and 3 will need to answer the following “yes” or “no” statements:
- Work involves or will result in an amount of soil disturbance greater than or equal to one acre in an MS4 area
- Work is part of a larger common plan or development or sale that involves or will result in an amount of soil disturbance greater than or equal to one acre in an MS4 area
Answering “yes” to either of these statements will require applicants to obtain the following documents:
- DEP Stormwater Construction Permit (prior to approval)
- DEP Stormwater Maintenance Permit or a New York Department of Environment Conservation Notice of Termination (prior to sign-off)
Providing false answers may result in revocation of plan approval and associated permits, as well as issuance of penalties.
Please contact Metropolis Group at 212.233.6344 if you have any questions or need assistance.