LPC Recovery Initiative Streamlines Permit Process
By Penny Laughlin
To help owners of historic buildings and commercial tenants resume business operations quickly, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) offers a dedicated recovery team, hotline, and expedited permit process for restaurants and retail establishments.
The Recovery Team offers a one-stop-shop for applicants. Dedicated staff provides guidance on rules and policies to help applicants receive permits as quickly as possible.
Under the Recovery Initiative, several recovery-related work types are eligible for special expedited review.
No Permit Needed
Some work types related to resuming business operations will not require an LPC permit:
- Movable sidewalk café furniture
- Freestanding sandwich boards or sidewalk signs
- Pop-up tents and umbrellas
- Reversible sidewalk markings
- Unattached payment stations
Certain types of work now qualify for a new self-certification permit, including:
- Glass replacement
- Interior installations
In addition, applications for temporary installations, lasting no longer than 12 months, may be submitted through this process.
Expedited Recovery Review
Certain work types related to social distancing requirements qualify for expedited review, such as:
- Replacing an existing storefront
- Installing permanent operable doors, windows or a pass-through in a storefront, historic or non-historic
- Permanent barrier-free access ramps
- HVAC equipment and louvers within historic or non-historic storefronts and commercial openings
If you have any questions or need assistance with LPC applications, please contact Metropolis Group at 212.233.6344.