By Katherine Baerga
Since the 2022 Construction Codes went into effect on November 7, 2022, the updated codes have heralded several changes, including new Special Inspections and Required Documents, along with fee increases for several filing types.
New Special Inspections
New York City requires special inspections of “selected materials, equipment, installation, fabrication, erection or placement of components and connections, to ensure compliance with approved construction documents and referenced standards.” Such inspections must be performed by Special Inspectors on behalf of a registered Special Inspection Agency (SIA).The advent of the 2022 Construction Codes brings the following new Special Inspections:
- Combustible Exterior Wall Coverings
- Construction Operations Influencing Adjacent Structures
- Construction Utilizing CLT or SCL, Type IV BC
- Designated Seismic System
- Exhaust and Vent Systems in Plenums and Ducts
- Non Potable Water Systems
- Open-web Steel Joists and Joist Girders
- Prestressed Rock and Soil Anchors
- Seismic Anchorage of Access Floors
- Seismic Anchorage of Storage Racks
- Seismic Resistance of Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Electrical Components
- Tenant Protection Plan Compliance
- Underpinning and Alternate Methods of Support of Buildings and Adjacent Property
- Wood – Seismic Resistance To see which Work Types require these Special Inspections, refer to the DOB NOW Technical Reports from December 2022.
New Required Documents
As part of the new codes, DOB NOW: Build now includes the following waivers and deferrals:
- Evaluation of Adjacent Building Report
- Geotechnical Peer Review Report
- Geotechnical Report
- The Wind Tunnel Test Peer Review Report For more information, refer to the DOB NOW Waiver and Referral Document Request List from December 2022.
In addition, the following fees have changed:
- New Building initial filing fee minimum increased from $100 to $130.
- New Building subsequent filing fee increased from $100 to $130.
- Permit renewal fee increased from $100 to $130 per work type. For composite permits, the permit renewal fee is $130 for each work type.
- Permits to install, alter, or replace oil-burning equipment, gas or electric heating or any other energy source equipment are $130 per device.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Metropolis Group at 212.233.6344.