New York City may be preparing to reopen, but the Department of Buildings (DOB) has stayed busy this entire time. During the past several months, the city agency has greatly expanded its online filing portal, DOB NOW. The platform now includes new buildings, major alterations, and all occupancy requests.
DOB NOW Expansion: Phase 2 Goes Live
Following the December 2020 launch of the major Phase 1 expansion for DOB NOW: Build, the Phase 2 expansion went live on March 1, 2021. New Building (NB) and Alteration-CO (alterations that affect Certificate of Occupancy, formerly Alt-1) job types must now be submitted in DOB NOW: Build.
In addition, all occupancy requests for both BIS and DOB NOW jobs must go through the DOB NOW portal. The DOB no longer accepts form PW7, although forms received by February 26, 2021, will still be processed. (For more information on the new CO process, see “What to Expect When Migrating to the New CO Process.”)
One final change: Requests for a Temporary Building Identification Number (TBIN) must also go through DOB NOW. The BIS Unit will no longer process these requests.
Applications Remaining in BIS
The following applications will continue in the Buildings Information System (BIS):
- Above work types that have received “D” status (or later) by February 26, 2021
- Post-Approval Amendments (PAAs) on existing BIS filings
- NB & Alt-1 Affordable Housing (submit to Development Hub)
- Alt-1 No Work (drop off at borough office)
- Fee Deferred (drop off at borough office)
- Solar, Green Roof (submit in eFiling)
- Builders Pavement Plan (BPP), Full Demolition, Subdivision (drop off at borough office)
- Letter of No Objection (LNO), Letter of Verification (LOV) (drop off at borough office)
If you have any questions or need assistance with your projects, contact Metropolis Group at 212.233.6344.